How InBC Invests
InBC invests in companies and venture funds that seek to address environmental and social issues, while delivering financial returns for people of British Columbia.
Each investment InBC makes is individually assessed according to the following:
Business model and financial returns
- Strength and experience of management team
- Strategic direction, unique product differentiation, intellectual property
- Industry dynamics and competitive landscape
- Track record, growth rate and financial forecast
Strong connection to B.C.
- Location of headquarters and/or offices in B.C.
- Proportion of decision-makers and management team based in B.C.
- Percentage of investment and deal flow, revenue, employees and/or infrastructure in B.C.
Alignment to one (or more) impact objective
- Alignment to one or more of InBC’s impact objectives
- Intention to define and measure impact
- Integration of impact with business model
Environmental, social and governance (ESG) risks
- Current diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) of portfolio or company
- Roadmap for developing and implementing ESG and DEI practices and policies
- Reputational risks related to ESG
For entrepreneurs, InBC offers:
- A fair and inclusive assessment process
- A patient investor who has longer term expectations for returns
- Access to a support network through InBC’s partners
- For early stage companies, equity investments of approximately $3 million to $5 million
- For later stage companies, equity investments of approximately $8 million to $10 million
- Opportunity for additional investment through follow on capital
For fund managers, InBC provides:
- Values-aligned capital to launch or support an investment fund
- Support for portfolios that deliver benefits in the areas of innovation, climate action, reconciliation and inclusive communities
- Equity investments of approximately $5 million to $10 million
*Over time, InBC will consider additional investment types.
|Virtual Office Hour|
For companies or funds with additional questions on how to proceed, join the next InBC virtual office hour for an informal group chat with a member of our investment team.
Thursday June 22, 10:30-11:30 a.m. PDT: Register Now
What InBC invests in
Companies that have a concept or product in development
InBC does not invest directly in seed stage companies, only indirectly through venture funds
Companies that have a product or service in testing, pilot production or that has recently become commercially available
InBC invests directly in early stage companies; it also invests indirectly through venture funds
Companies that have a product or service that is commercially available
InBC invests directly in later stage companies; it also invests indirectly through venture funds
|1. Screening||Evaluate viability and growth of potential business model based on stage and size||Determine eligibility based on strong connections to B.C. and alignment with one or more of InBC’s four impact objectives|
|2. Due Diligence||Conduct financial, market and industry due diligence, and develop a clear path to generating market-rate returns||Determine the scale, scope, depth and measurability of impact, assess ESG risks including DEI practices|
|3. Deal Execution||Structure and negotiate deal terms, present to Investment Review Committee||Align on 2-3 core impact KPIs to include in deal terms|
|4. Monitoring & Reporting||Track and manage performance of investments across financial KPIs||Track and manage performance of investments across impact KPIs|
Evaluate viability and growth of potential business model based on stage and size
Determine eligibility based on strong connections to B.C. and alignment with one or more of InBC’s four impact objectives
2. Due Diligence
Conduct financial, market and industry due diligence, and develop a clear path to generating market-rate returns
Determine the scale, scope, depth and measurability of impact, assess ESG risks including DEI practices
3. Deal Execution
Structure and negotiate deal terms, present to Investment Review Committee
Align on 2-3 core impact KPIs to include in deal terms
4. Monitoring & Reporting
Track and manage performance of investments across financial KPIs
Track and manage performance of investments across impact KPIs
What InBC doesn’t offer
- Loan guarantees or government guarantees
- Investments in infrastructure projects or real estate
- Direct investment into seed stage companies
- Short-term financing
For more details of our approach and criteria, see our investment strategy overview and frequently asked questions.